Living with Hearing Aids
Go on living your life with hearing aids
Today’s hearing aids have reincarnated into intuitive extensions of an individual, which act more like a limb of the body than an external device. With extended connectivity to everyday appliances, such as alarm clocks and doorbells, as well as to phones and TV, modern hearing aids make living feel no different.
Exercising with hearing aidsIn order to get the most out of your hearing aides you need to maintain them. Take a look at some of the things you’ll have to make part of your regular routine.
What to Expect from Your Hearing Aids
Once hearing aids are appropriate for you, it’s important that you know what to expect from your hearing aids and everything they can offer for you. Hearing aids work well, but is not the same as normal hearing. Expecting results that can’t be achieved will only lead to frustration and dissatisfaction.
Here are some guidelines that will help set these expectations and allow you to be free to enjoy the benefits that hearing aids can bring to your life.
- Your hearing exam will determine the severity of your hearing loss, and consequently the extent to which your hearing loss can be helped through amplification.
- The more severe your hearing loss is, the more advanced and powerful the hearing aid must be in order to help your hearing.
- Hearing aid users can often achieve a performance level close or equal to normal hearing in quiet environments. As the environment becomes more noisy and complex, a person with hearing loss will have more difficulty hearing, even with hearing aids.
- Depending on the degree and type of hearing loss, hearing aids may improve your ability to understand speech more clearly in noisy situations.
- If your hearing aids are programmed properly, you should be able to hear every day sounds that you may not have realized you were missing, like rain on the window or your dog’s nails clicking on the floor when they walk.
- You’ll need time to get used to your new hearing aids and learn how to achieve optimal performance with them. You should expect to see your hearing care specialist a few times after your initial appointment to tweak the programming and get it just right.